Re: packages modifying httpd.conf?

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:20:56PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
Can the inclusion be conditional on the file actually existing?  We'd also
need a pretty good list of "interesting" package configuration files to
include by default.

Well, I was referring to something like this:

in httpd.conf, you have
Include /etc/apache/conf.d

and then in conf.d:
$ ls /etc/apache/conf.d
cacti.conf kerberos.conf phpmyadmin.conf php4.conf
A package (Or a person) can just add their snippits in their own little
config file in that conf.d directory.  This prevents direct modification
to httpd.conf.

This can be taken much-further and things can be broken down much
further to include vhosts (one per file), etc.

Or, based on your second idea,  have packages put their little .conf
snips in the share/examples directory, like the rc.d files are.  Then a
message says that they can look at them and do with them what they
please.

dks

--
David Stipp <dstipp%coolhack.net@localhost>