Re: packages modifying httpd.conf?

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:20:56PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Can the inclusion be conditional on the file actually existing?  We'd also
> need a pretty good list of "interesting" package configuration files to
> include by default.
>
> Or -- perhaps rc.d/apache could build an httpd.conf file from a base and
> the contents of, say, /usr/pkg/etc/httpd/pkg_conf/*, every time you did a
> 'start' or a 'reload'.  Hmm....

Hmm.. I think http.conf configuration should always be reviewed by the
admin before being used.  The scheme currently used by some packages (e.g.
phpldapadmin) seems ok to me: they install a conf include snippet and point
to it in their MESSAGE.  That way an admin can .include it from their own
http.conf (it will always have the right paths etc), or copy/paste it into
their http.conf and modify it to their likings.

        Geert