Re: gettext-tools without gettext-libs dependency on Linux

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:46:38AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I don't want to install any libintl or intl.h. I already have this with my
> GLIBC. (This is on Linux.)

The problem is that the glibc version might not be in sync with gettext,
just like the NetBSD libintl is not always compatible with
gettext-tools. f you have a native libintl, you should really, really
have native gettext-tools as well.

> Building gettext-tools fails when building .libs/msginit with:
>
> msginit-msginit.o(.text+0x23d): In function `main':
> : undefined reference to `_nl_locale_name'
>
> This is defined in localename.o and libgnuintl.so.

The patch removes *redundant* linkage. It also avoids a horrible abuse
of libtool infrastructure, which gave me quite a few head aches on
various systems.

In short, I'd prefer not to mess with this area, it can break too much.

Joerg