Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:37:13AM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
[...]
I completely agree.

But, I feel that switching every quarter is a little bit quick for the
product, while I need to update some packages on my private
stable-branch before it is pulled up to the official stable branch.

Same here. 4 branches a year is a bit too much for me; it sometimes requires
me close to 3 months to switch all servers to the new branch.

Nah... it's pretty easy to do the updates if you're using Xen. I keep the partitions that I need to swap out frequently as file-backed devices. In this case, /usr/pkg is a vnd device backed by pkg.img that I've mounted into my domU, and I have a separate domain that I use to install precisely what is needed for each domain into different pkg.img files. "Upgrading" each domain is just stopping it, edit the xen config file to use the new pkg.img, and restarting the domain.

BTW, thanks for all your Xen work :)

        -- Johnny Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost>