Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?

Johnny Lam wrote:
> I personally use the stable branch on production servers.  I find it
> avoids the chaos of keeping up with rapidly changing PKGREVISIONs that
> happen on pkgsrc HEAD at times.  I keep a sandbox handy for rebuilding
> packages when there is a security update on the stable branch, and I
> update all of my software to the newest stable branch every quarter.
>
> Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?

Same here, any boxes that I want to "set and forget" I put -stable on
(production servers, firewalls etc.).  I've got pkg_chk and pkg_comp
setup to do any bulk builds for these boxes which I do once a new branch
is created or a security issue pops up.

On my laptop where I can handle the frequent bumps and like the latest
and greatest I run HEAD.

I find it's also really useful for package development, I've got a
checkout of HEAD that I can butcher as much as I want and a checkout of
-stable that I leave alone.

Personally I find the split of -stable/HEAD very useful and appreciate
the time involved by all.

adrian.