Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?

On 4/17/06, Johnny Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:
> I'm curious as to how many people are using the pkgsrc "stable" branches
> (pkgsrc-YYYYQQ).  The pkgsrc developers spend quite a bit of time
> creating and maintaining these branches, and I want to get a feel for
> whether this is time well-spent.
>
> I personally use the stable branch on production servers.  I find it
> avoids the chaos of keeping up with rapidly changing PKGREVISIONs that
> happen on pkgsrc HEAD at times.  I keep a sandbox handy for rebuilding
> packages when there is a security update on the stable branch, and I
> update all of my software to the newest stable branch every quarter.
>
> Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?

I use the stable branch on my home server together with NetBSD 3.0.
I have a cron job that rebuilds all the packages I need weekly using pkg_comp
so that I have an updated pool of binary packages ready to be installed.
However, I only do the updates when really needed (security issues), when
a new branch is published or when I really want something newer (monotone
comes to mind).  Otherwise, I simply like to forget that the box is there.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/