mplayer recognizes application/smil but freezes on load

Not a dup post, but an oops-fix. I forget to include the URL before pressing "send" the first time. Sorry...

Have been trying all and sundry to play W3C SMIL format on NetBSD.
Latest attempt was to open this URL in Firefox...

http://gonze.com/playlists/work.smil

...which brought up the mplayer plugin right enough, even appearing to
download all files in the playlist. Then I watched the thermometer crawl
to the right until the end when it should have started to play an MP3
file. But it froze. No play/pause/stop buttons. Just an empty mplayer
screen.

Anybody else had better luck with SMIL in mplayer...or any other package
for that matter?

Thanks,

Gan Uesli Starling
Kalamazoo Michigan USA