RealPlayerGold should support SMIL but does not on NetBSD

The W3C website at...

http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/#SMIL

...and the Helix Community website at...

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/unix/help/playerfaq.html#mozTocId731144

...both claim that RealPlayerGold does indeed support SMIL format
version 1.0. But when I try to open a very simple SMIL file from an
audiobook on CDROM I get a popup which says that it does not support the
format at all.

I am wondering whether this is a lack in the NetBSD package by design or
is instead a bug? Also, is there any future desire/intent to amend the
RealPlayerGold so that SMIL files will open?

I am slightly anxious for some, any, means to create W3C standard
multimedia which will work on both NetBSD and other, more ubiquitous OSes.

Respectfully,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA