Re: maintaining pkgsrc packages

Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 01:03:28PM +0200, Christoph Leuzinger wrote:
>
>> So did I. I wonder which is the preferred way for the submission of new
>> packages. The documentation suggests that it's send-pr, is that right?
>
> pkgsrc-wip is not an official part of NetBSD, it's just an additional
> packages "repository" that is compatible with pkgsrc.  You can commit new
> packages to pkgsrc-wip, but you'll still have to ask a developer (or the
> appropriate mailing list) to import them in pkgsrc.

True, but in my view having a complete package in wip that can be
reviewed (via pkgsrc-wip-discuss) and tried by others greatly eases
the work of importing to NetBSD pkgsrc.  A NetBSD developer who
commits a new package must verify that it is adequately correct, and
having it available in wip lowers the cost of doing this (compared to
it being in a PR).  One can still submit a PR that says "please commit
wip/foo, which is version 1.3 of the foo package that does bar and baz
and is described at http://foo.bam.org";.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>