Re: BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Johnny Lam wrote:

> > I use IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=yes.

> > -BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat+=  expat>=1.95.7
> > +BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat+=  expat>=2.0.0

> No, this patch is not correct.  This is, IIRC, exactly what
> BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED was originally put into pkgsrc for -- the handle the
> case where a lot of software can continue to build with the old version of a
> library even though the latest version in pkgsrc has had a shlib major bump.

The RECOMMENDED is for "security updates or ABI changes that do not
prevent a package from building correctly."

Maybe then the pkgsrc guide needs to be modified. It says:

  ... This [BUILDLINK_DEPENDS] variable should be set to the first version
  of the package that had the last change in the major number of a shared
  library or that had a major API change.

And:

  There are two situations that require increasing the dependency listed
  in BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.pkg after a package update:

   1. if the sonames (major number of the library version) of any
   installed shared libraries change.

   2. if the API or interface to the header files change.

I don't know if the API or interface to the header files changed. But the
major number of the library version did change.

> What you are running into is basically the problems with running with
> IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=yes, which is why that default to "no".

I have been using it since it was available. It has been very useful. I
have not had to manually override any of the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'