Re: Problems Building net/net-snmp in pkgsrc - need help please wrote:

OK, I did this***, and in /usr/lib/*.la I see the following references to

galaxy 0 barch% cd /usr/lib
galaxy 0 lib% grep beecrypt *.la
-L/usr/src/build/588060-i386/install/usr/lib -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/
-L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/ /usr/lib/
/usr/lib/ /usr/lib/ -lrt -lpthread -lz -lbz2
-lelf'' -L/usr/src/build/588060-i386/install/usr/lib
-L/usr/lib /usr/lib/ /usr/lib/ -lrt -lpthread
-L/usr/local/lib -lz -lbz2 /usr/lib/ -lelf'' -L/usr/src/build/588060-i386/install/usr/lib
-L/usr/lib /usr/lib/ -lrt -lpthread -L/usr/local/lib -lz
-lbz2'' -L/usr/src/build/588060-i386/install/usr/lib
-L/usr/lib /usr/lib/ -L/usr/local/lib -lelf /usr/lib/
/usr/lib/ -lrt -lpthread -lz -lbz2 /usr/lib/'

Okay, this is your problem. You're linking against, so all of the libraries that are needed by must also be provided on your system. You therefore should install whatever provides /usr/lib/ or else /usr/lib/ is unusable for builds.

I also found some discussions on the net-snmp users list
and search on beecrypt)

There it is said that the net-snmp/hsot/hr_swinst module needs librpmio,
which on my system is one of the ones that references beecrypt.
In those users' worlds, the standard answer appears to be "install the
beecrypt-devel rpm" and the problem goes away.

This advice is correct.

In the pkgsrc world, I have already installed security/beecrypt, and is happily sitting in my pkgsrc $PREFIX/lib/
(see my earlier note).

Yes, but the version of libbeecrypt installed by pkgsrc may not match the one that is needed by /usr/lib/, so playing games with the dynamic linker through symlinks or LD_LIBRARY_PATH may get you burned.

I'm pretty sure that libtool is looking at ldd output on
/usr/lib/librpmio.* and adding /usr/lib/libbeecrypt.* to the list of
depended on libraries.
So how do I get libtool to find it in my pkgsrc $PREFIX/lib dir?  (I threw
the -L${PREFIX}/lib flag, but libtool doesn't seem to be applying that to
libs sucked in by walking ldd and finding "/usr/lib/libbeecrypt.*"

No, that is not what libtool is doing. Libtool is complaining because you're linking against -lrpmio, which causes libtool to read /usr/lib/ Upon reading /usr/lib/, it sees that it should be able to find /usr/lib/ because it's mentioned in the "dependency_libs" line of /usr/lib/ When libtool can't find /usr/lib/ at this point, it bails out with the error that you see.

Thinking I could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to my pkgsrc $PREFIX/lib dir, I did
this and tried again.  Unfortunately, libtool still wants libbeecrypt to
come from /usr/lib.

Any more ideas?  Surely there is a way to get libtool to resolve discovered
dynamic library dependencies against the -L path or LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

No, you don't want to do this. You want to just install the beecrypt-devel RPM so that you can successfully link against the in the base system. Note that this advice only applies to systems that have /usr/lib/librpm* in the base system. Linux systems that don't have those libraries aren't affected by this problem.

        -- Johnny Lam <>