Re: postfix 250-AUTH line

However, only the plaintext protocol works correctly (e.g. allows me to login).

If you are using saslauthd, you can only use plaintext authentication mechanism.

OBATA, thanks for the information.

What do I need to install to be able to use the other machanisms?  Even though
I'm using TLS/SSL on the line, I really have reservations about sending
usernames and passwords in plaintext.

A little background. I'm accepting mail for the domain and have all
mail sent to this domain going to a local unix account.  I want to be able to
authenticate the username and password against the information in /etc/passwd
and friends using the pam subsystem.