Subject: Re: playing video dvd's
To: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/15/2003 03:12:33
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2003/11/14/0013.html

-framedrdop isn't so much a CPU issue as a video bandwidth issue, I think.
My CPU (an Athlon 800MHz) is quite capable of keeping up, I think, but can't
dump get the video out to my PCI card fast enough.  I use -framedrop so that
it doesn't have to push every frame to the video card (especially important
if I rescale the window to full screen), but I do *not* have it actually skip
decoding the frames---if you skip decoding frames your CPU doesn't have to
do any work on a frame beyond finding where it ends, but the image quality
suffers a lot because MPEG video works by updating the previous frame (so
it needs to know what the previous frame looked like).

Also, 32768 SHM pages is probably overkill for ogle.  (^&