Subject: Re: playing video dvd's
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20031114T113156@wsrcc.com>
From: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2003 20:12:56
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:06:27PM -0800, Wolfgang  S. Rupprecht wrote:

Lo,

> mplayer / gmplayer - could play the various *.vob files.  The first
> challenge was to figure out why the audio track was the director
> talking about the movie.  It turns out the highly intuitive command
> "-aid 128" was needed to select the english audio.  The "-aid 129"
> command got one french and "-aid 130" got the director talking.  The
> default was the director.  The only way to find the find the pool of
> number to feed "-aid" was to run mplayer with "-v" and see what it
> printed as the choices for this disk and then test them all by trial
> and error (after sitting through 5 minutes of introduction).  The next
> problem was that mplayer didn't knit the files together.  Every
> billion bytes (a thousand million for you brits. ;-)) the player ran
> out of bytes and needed to have the next file fed to it.  Summary:
> mplayer is a good proof of concept, but it needs to understand the dvd
> metadata better before it is a useful dvd player.

Yeah, the audio track selection thing can be a pain. But you should try
something like:

mplayer -dvd 1 -ao sun -aid 130 -v

to play the first dvd title, you might want -framedrop if your processor
(like mine) isn't *quite* up to the task.

> ogle - three words: "Cannot allocate memory"
>
>     *ctrl: get_buffer, shmget failed: Cannot allocate memory
>     ERROR[ogle_mpeg_vs]: couldn't get buffer
>
> So what are other folks using to play dvd's?

Configure some more shared memory in your kernel config.

options SHMMAXPGS=32768

or something around that number

I usually use mplayer myself, I can't remember why I don't use ogle, I tried
it and it was quite nice, and it understands dvd menus.

 - Chris

--
strawberry@toth.org.uk
http://www.toth.org.uk/~strawberry