Subject: Re: Intel XScale NetBSD?
To: Dave Mazzoni <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 11/30/2004 00:53:38
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dave Mazzoni wrote:
>  I'm very interested in BSD for embedded systems (such as the Intel XScale).
> I haven't found much embedded literature for BSD in embedded systems.
> Considering they comprise many orders of magnitude MORE "processors" in the
> world, having a BSD version tailored for embedded use would be very nice.
> Have I missed something on the net?  I'm not sure where to start if I
> actually wanted to try the port myself.

You want the "evbarm" port of NetBSD, which is for "ARM based EValuation
Boards", see

Source is in /usr/src/sys/evbarm, see etc.

The mailing list archive is at

A bit of general information about NetBSD on embedded systems can be found

An article on how to do cross-compiling from a 1.6.x system can be found

The latest (binary) release can be found at Be sure to read the
one of the INSTALL.* files in there, they contain further hints for
installation. Please note also that NetBSD 2.0 will be released within the
next few days, which may be a major leap forward on all platforms,
including embedded ones like XScale, but also other ARM based
CPUs, PowerPC, and MIPS.

  - Hubert

NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)