Subject: Re: RS/6000 port
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 09/04/2000 23:20:00
On 04-Sep-00 David Brownlee wrote:
>        - Work out how to generate a binary understood by the boot loader.
>           If there is an existing OS on the target, you might be better
>           taking advantage of it.

Take a look at:
http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/rs6k/

This guy has some assembly goop that he claims is booting on an rs6k.  I think
basically it just boots and blinks the LED's.. but the initial concept work is
there to build a bootloader from it.

From talking with some people I knew at IBM.. I know that the old MCA rs6k's
used an intel ethernet chip, and NCR controllers.. so the chip backend for the
drivers is mostly there.  My understanding though is that porting our powerpc
stuff will be somewhat difficult, because we make use of the BAT registers,
which the POWER does not have.  The MMU is supposedly different as well.. and I
don't know anything about that aspect.

IBM also has documentation on the POWER machines.. though I have heard the
description of the bootloader is somewhat poor.  You can order this
documentation online at IBM's web site.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>