NetBSD-Help archive

Re: 4.0 netbsd-GENERIC.MP crash during boot

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 05:21:09PM +0100, Tom Danielsen wrote:

> System is running netbsd-GENERIC without problem.  Trying to boot
> netbsd-GENERIC.MP :
>
> <.....>
> cpu1: CPU 1 running
> Wed Jan  2 15:00:00 CET 2008
> swapctl: adding /dev/wd0b as swap device at priority 0
> Checking for botched superblock upgrades:kernel: supervisor trap protection
> fault, code=0
> Stopped in pid 191.1 (sh) at   netbsd:mpidle+0xb1:      ltr     %dx
> db{1}>
>
> At this point the USB keyboard is not responding.
>
> I have not tried yet to build custom kernels.
>
> Are there known issues with the mp kernel?

There are some known issues with the MP kernel that cause odd behaviour,
however it only happens rarely and on certain machines. If the system boots
to a login prompt it is usually fine. Are you willing to try a NetBSD
-current kernel to help rule out a few problems? This one should do (note,
that in -current GENERIC includes SMP support by default).

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200712300000Z/i386/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC.tgz

Thanks,
Andrew