Subject: Re: serial console
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/2005 16:05:22
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Thierry Lacoste wrote:

> I'd like to use my laptop as a serial console for various machines.
> The laptop has only USB connectivity.
> AFAICS the machines I'd like to connect have the following serial interfaces:
> - DEC Alpha (2 DB9 male interfaces).
> - i386 PC (2 DB9 male interfaces).
> - SPARC (2 DB25 female interfaces).
> - SGI Indy (2 DIN8 female interfaces).
>
> I read the following mails:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2004/12/30/0009.html
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2004/12/30/0011.html
> but I wonder if I'll be able to use keyspan or iogear adapters
> with SPARC and Indy.
>
> Do you have any suggestion?

 	You may also be able to use ethernet to serial adaptors, providing
 	you have a protected network to which to connect them, then you
 	can telnet into any serial console. You can also setup a 'screen'
 	session to 'hold' the serial consoles.

 	Note - I may not be a completely disinterested party in this case,
 	as I'm selling a spare MSS100 ethernet to serial adaptor on
 	ebay at the moment. :)