Subject: RE: PC emulation.
To: Conrad T. Pino <NetBSD-Current@Pino.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 17:21:56
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2004/01/07/0004.html

I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) that the vmware package is a nice
helper for installing the commercial product.  I would need to buy it (for
something like $100 or $150, I am guessing).

Even if it's free, it has a painful, MS-alike EULA.  I don't like accepting
licenses that I haven't read, and I don't like reading EULAs.  (^&

In addition, I believe that it really is only available for GNU/LINUX.  We
can run it under GNU/LINUX emulation.  Fine.  But there have been occasional
reports about it being broken when they add some new dependancy on some
GNU/LINUX feature or quirk.

So, it is hassle and money to use vmware, as I understand it.

I'm sure that it has uses, but it didn't look like the best answer
to me.

(Yes, what I wound up doing with the hardware swap took time and hassle.
But it was *educational* hassle.  I don't think that I'd learn much by
installing vmware and babysitting it while installing BillOS from
CD.  Since I haven't had so many machines apart, I saw/did at least
three new things with the Dell PII internals, which may help me as
general perspective the next time I have to open an unfamiliar
machine.)

However, thanks for the suggestion.  If I am wrong about the cost and
the GNU/LINUX requirements, it would put the thing in a different
light.