Subject: RE: PC emulation.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Conrad T. Pino <NetBSD-Current@Pino.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 00:46:39
Could be a dummy question and/or comment.  You've been warned! :)

> From: netbsd-help-owner@NetBSD.org On Behalf Of Richard Rauch
>
>  * Commercial vmware (or whatever).  Probably would have to run on
>    the Athlon.  Should be fast.  Costs money, and has on-again,
>    off-again problems as they use the latest GNU/LINUX kernel features.
>    For the cost of a license, plus the hassle, I might as well pick up a
>    low end PC.  (I have never actually used vmware, but have seen complaints
>    from time to time about new versions breaking.  I do not know if the
>    current version works with NetBSD or if it is once more in broken mode.)

The NetBSD source tree has:

	pkgsrc/emulators/vmware    VMware Workstation 2.x
	pkgsrc/emulators/vmware3   VMware Workstation 3.x

and both look like work product from http://www.vmware.com/ which look like
"commercial vmware" to me.  One of the download sites is in the "vmware.com"
domain.

Can someone please explain why neither one of the packages is a good solution
for this application?

TIA,

Conrad