Subject: Re: FW: oh man...i can't find man. :-(
To: None <fernando@rxp.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/2003 11:31:59
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/02/18/0014.html

Re. using ssh to do port-forwarding: Okay, I didn't understand.  I
thought that you were using it to get out from behind your firewall/NAT.

Re. http://www.dubbele.com/ : That's a firewall project "based on NetBSD",
as they say on their web-page.  They don't promise that when you setup up
their firewall system that you get a complete NetBSD install.

Since I don't know what the firewall project excised, I don't know what
other bits are missing from a normal NetBSD instllation.  They may have
made an effort to pare the system down to a minimum so that it could be
set up on a small disk.  I also don't know if they added any core software,
or just made an installation/configuration tool customized for easy
setup of firewalls.

If you had installed NetBSD (per se), the configuration of your firewall
might not have been quite so trivial, but you'd have man-pages (and
everything else).  You might be able to just save your /etc directory
and upgrade everything else to a full NetBSD install...

If you have a spare machine (or a machine that you're willing to dual-boot),
you could install the regular NetBSD on that machine, and use it for
reference, leaving your firewall untouched.  (This is actually what
I'd recommend, since it allows you to make judgements about whether you
want to modify your firewall or not *before* making such modifications.)

The firewall system may be able to use the man-pages if you just
download and extract the man-page tarball.  (I'm not sure what's
included in the tarball and what the firewall project has excised.)

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org