Subject: FW: oh man...i can't find man. :-(
To: NetBSD <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <fernando@rxp.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/18/2003 07:32:22

hmm...well, I just downloaded Putty and it offered it. I don't think i need
encryption between the bsd and the win2k at the office lan but what about
the connection from the remote machine at home? the one i'm using to dial
out from. it uses the internet to connct. I thought using encryption from
there (home) to the bsd at the office would be wise. after that, it dosn't
have to be encrypted but as long as it was i wasnt going to go out of my way
to make it unencrypted. will it make a difference? 'cuz i haven't really
thought of it.

> What I will comment on is the comment that "It appears that the version
> of NetBSD that [you] downloaded was trying to keep things small".
>
> I am not aware of anyone repackaging a stripped-down subset of NetBSD.
> Hopefully, such don't exist (you can always choose not to install
> everthing when you get the standard setup!).  Hopefully, if they do
> exist, they are clearly labeled as incomplete.

I got mine from http://www.dubbele.com/ and i didn't see anything clearly
marked about man pages. though I may have just overlooked it in my mad dash
to get the greatest bsd ever created. :-)

> I suspect that you did one of three things to lose the man-pages:

i suspect i never got them. :-( All i did was download the 2 floppy images
and booted. I accepted all the defaults on the hardware. the only thing i
had to tell it was my ip address configuration. after that it just
installed. didn't ask me anything about packages. at least i don't remember
anything about them. i'm not usually this fuzzy headed about an instal but
this is my first experience with bsd (asside from trying it once on virtual
pc).

> --
>   "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org

you know a whole lot more than me. :-)