Re: netbsd website written in xml! difficult and heavy?

On 2014-06-24 14:18, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:42:51PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 07:07:13AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:24:21PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>  > >  > wouldn't markdown be a lot better than xml in terms of being
>  > >  > lighter and easier to work with because of it's simplicity?
>  > >
>  > > that's the premise of the wiki setup...
>  >
>  > i'm sorry but i didn't understand the statement above.
>  > could you please elaborate?
>
> http://wiki.netbsd.org is markdown-based.

oh, cool.
does that mean i can make changes even using a console web browser?

looks like that's impossible.

i ask because, i spend maximum amount of time at the console (now with
netbsd), and it would be painful to just go to a graphical environment
to do something _to_ the wiki.

since the content is not updatable using a console mode web browser,
can we update the content via some version control mechanism?
since the content base itself would be markdown, editing it or creating
something new would be simple and not require anything more than a text
editor.

i had proposed a similar mechanism to the smartos and omnios communities.
only, instead of markdown, i had suggested direct html, which can be
quite intimidating to most non web developers.
the idea for markdown was presented, and implemented by eric sproul of
omniti for their web facing documentation system, and it works like a
charm.

i found out that's exactly what the one can do if he is a netbsd developer.
http://wiki.netbsd.org/wiki/start/

i am really impressed with the netbsd folks, you have anticipated so much
and already done something good to overcome upcoming problems.

i think it's going to be one hell of a ride accompanying you all... :)

~mayuresh