NetBSD-Docs archive

Re: Splitting large pages to smaller ones

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:52:10PM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
 > Any opinions about splitting large manual pages to several smaller ones?

I think it's generally a good idea, but it's important to also have an
overview somewhere that can be readily found.

 > Few points:
 >      1. The manual page format lends itself badly to anything bigger than
 >         three or four pages. This is especially evident when a page is
 >         viewed from a terminal and the content is mostly discussion
 >         around function prototypes. $PAGER has also poor search
 >         capabilities, etc.

Although just splitting things up in itself doesn't help much (look at
for example the gmake info files) -- it's organization that matters,
and organization is expensive...

David A. Holland