Re: envsys.4 && sysmon_envsys.9: grammar corrections

2009/12/18 Soren Jacobsen <snj%pobox.com@localhost>:
> On Dec 16, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Constantine Aleksandrovich Murenin wrote:
>
>> A few grammar corrections for envsys.4 and sysmon_envsys.9 are attached.
>
> I've committed them, aside from the "there's" change, which is not an error
> but simply an issue of style.  Contractions run wild throughout our tree, so
> I don't see any reason to change that particular one.
>
> Thanks for the fixes!
>
> Soren

Perhaps all "there's" should be changed to "there is" then?  I think
"it's" is generally acceptable, even if less so than "it is", whereas
"there's" is almost always considered to be a very informal style.

There's not much work in changing it anyways:

dale# find share/man -type f | xargs fgrep "there's" && uname -ms
share/man/man4/ipsec.4:so for the receiving kernel there's no sign of
authenticity
share/man/man4/man4.vax/dn.4:The device doesn't exist, or there's no
power to it.
share/man/man9/kauth.9:there's no way to tell what structure
share/man/man9/kfilter_register.9:if there's an invalid argument, or
share/man/man9/kfilter_register.9:if there's an invalid argument, or
share/man/man9/sysmon_envsys.9:If there's some error before
registering the device, the
share/man/man9/sysmon_envsys.9:object will be freed, so there's no need to call
NetBSD i386
dale# find share/man -type f | xargs fgrep "there's" | wc -l
       7
dale# find share/man -type f | xargs fgrep "there is" | wc -l
     154
dale#

Best regards,
Constantine.