NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Tasks

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Christoph Egger wrote:
> What hits me most with sh on install cd, is that line editing doesn't
> work out-of-the box.

Is this the shell you get when you escape from the sysinst menu?  In
that case, the relevant file system image needs to get a copy of
/root/.profile and /root/.shrc.

> I recently booted an old install-cd from 4.99.33 and installed
> 5.99.7 from nfs on a new disk. Untarring the sets went well,
> but then sysinst used the binaries from the sets rather its own
> for the configuration stuff like timezone, setting root password, etc.
> The binaries crashed. The first boot from disk actually booted
> 5.99.7 (into single-user) and I had to do it all the configuration
> myself then.

Essentially, you had an old kernel (4.99.33 from the install CD) and a
new userland (the 5.99.7 that was in the process of being installed).
Fixing this properly would require sysinst to never run anything from
the system that's in the process of being installed, which in turn would
require sysinst to be distributed with a larger set of utilities in the
ramdisk image.

--apb (Alan Barrett)