NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: bsdinstaller.org?

Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Christoph Egger wrote:
>> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>>> Anyone use The BSD Installer?
>>>
>>> http://www.bsdinstaller.org/
>>>
>>> Was (still?) used by at least three different projects.
>>>
>>> Has backend and various front-ends...
>>>
>>> But then again Google SoC project has work on splitting our current
>>> installer to backend so could have different front-ends.
>>
>> What is its current status ? I haven't seen any activity on this
>> project. Can we resurvive it this year on GSoC ?
>
> What do we gain from it? Based on the screenshots from the web site, it
> doesn't look very appealing to me.

I like the idea behind of it:

The backend does an automatic installation based on the config file.

The frontend can be anything which creates the config file.

This can be our sysinst,
or a GNOME application (useful when booted from a Live-CD),
a webfrontend, whatever comes to your mind.

The frontend is what the user has to deal with and there
I see the relevance to the Desktop Project: The frontend in use
makes the installation process easy or hard depending on its
usability.

You can also re-use the config file for many machines. An automated
network installation comes to my mind here.

Christoph