[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
re: install/17593 suggestions to improve sysinst wrt disk handling
The following reply was made to PR install/17593; it has been noted by GNATS.
From: "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp%spiritual-machines.org@localhost>
Subject: re: install/17593 suggestions to improve sysinst wrt disk handling
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:39:40 -0400 (EDT)
I agree with #1
As for #2 -- that would have been a great featre to add in 2002!
- Almost all pure non-RAID SCSI HBAs are off the market (at least in
- Everything is SAS now, and logical volumes w/o camcontrol format
support are presented (e.g., mfi(4) and amr(4))
- This could have been implented as an NT-like "Quick format" and "Full
- Some might argue that media testing isn't the role of sysinst, maybe
under a utilities menu (is camcontrol(8) in the minirootfs?)
- ATA/IDE lacks a similar low-level function.
How about this instead:
In #1, when you present the drive details (geometry/etc), also read the
S.M.A.R.T. status, if supported.
- If SMART isn't available, read whatever meta-data the controller
provides (We don't have megacli(8)/megarc(8) support, but the
controller has a "healthly/degrated" flag, at least in these drivers.
-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
"Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
~Maynard James Keenan
Main Index |
Thread Index |