Subject: Re: Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD. Contribute!
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/02/2000 23:42:27
On 03-Feb-00 Richard Rauch wrote:
> Granted.  But just because it's not a kernel issue doesn't lessen the
> value of knowing: Can I use <X> with a NetBSD system?

You are right.. and I do agree to some extent..  however, you can't please
everyone all the time.  I can't make this an all encompassing database for what
works with netbsd.

I think a good follow-up to this.. is to find where supporting package keep
hardware databases.. and for someone to make a page linking to them.  IE: we
say:

If you want to use a printer, any paralell printer will work for text, for PS
graphics, you may need ghostscript: here is where you can find a hw
compatability list for GS..

etc etc.  Trying to do the job of the ghostscript (and sane, etc) people would
be a mess.  We couldn't possibly hope to have as good a list as they would.
What does need to be done.. and would be a good way for someone to help out..
is to make a list of these other packages and component softwares, and whip an
html page together for it!

IMHO..

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>