Subject: Re: Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD. Contribute!
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 11:05:59
This is definitely a big step in the right direction. One feature that
will (sadly) need to be added is a form for indicating a newly
discovered hardware incompatibility. The reason for this is that the
supported hardware list on the netbsd web site has become inaccurate
due to bit rot in some of the older drivers, and it would be a shame
if people or companies made hardware purchasing decisions based on
inaccurate NetBSD compatibility information.

example #1: I recently purchased a Cyclades YeP 16-serial port card
and breakout box, compiled a NetBSD 1.4.1 kernel with the cy driver
included, and hooked it up to the machine. Unfortunately, the serial
ports are unusable and my whole NetBSD box locks up within a couple
minutes of any attempt to use these ports. From the attempts I made
via the netbsd-help mailing list to get help solving the problem, it
became apparent that nobody has used or tested one of these Cyclades
boards with NetBSD since 1.3.2, and that I'm on my own.  Since I'm no
kernel programmer, I'll probably have to drop this board in the back
of my closet and forget about it, the money I spent on it, and the
robotics and other projects ('Java ring' based home security system) I
had planned for it.

example #2: The Gravis Ultrasound Classic no longer works with
NetBSD. A 1.4.1 kernel with the gus driver included will drop into the
kernel debugger as soon as it reaches the soundcard initialization
portion of the boot process. Lucky for me, the original author of
NetBSD's gus driver is interested in fixing this, and we'll hopefully
be doing a joint kernel debugging session soon using two NetBSD boxes,
an internet connection, a null-modem cable, and 'kibitz'.

I look forward to using the supported hardware database, and I hope
that there aren't many drivers beyond those I've mentioned above that
have stopped working with current incarnations of NetBSD.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net

PS. If anyone out there would like to try to fix the cyclades driver
so that it can remain on the supported hardware list, I'd be happy to
send it to you and pay return postage. I just want to be able to use
the thing.