Subject: Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD. Contribute!
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 11:39:47
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi

I have created a Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD.  The idea here is to
eventually get a good listing of all the various cards, and onboard chip
options of various machines that work with NetBSD.

How you can help:

This will only work, and become a useful database, if people get on there, and
fill in thier cards.  Pull up your dmesg output, and a web browser, and start
filling out entries for cards you own.  I and some of the developers who tested
the database have allready filled out some examples, and I've personally put
most of my hardware in there.

For the unique ID's it would be preferrable if you chose something like the PCI
device ID of the card.  If you are filling out an entry for an OEM version of a
card, which is identical to an existing entry, simply differentiate the unique
ID in some way, like 1043a instead of 1043.

I'd eventually like to see a database that is full of products, so people know
what to buy for thier machine, and if people have tested it.  The database
contains a simple testimonial engine as well, so you can put down what versions
of NetBSD you have tried cards on, give a rating to the card/driver, and write
a short free-form entry about the card if you would like.

So get in there and try it out.  Also.. if you feel there is something missing
from the database, tell me and I will try to get it added.

Again, the address is: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>