Subject: Re: Possible serious bug in NetBSD-1.6.1_RC2
To: None <>
From: Greg Oster <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2003 10:45:06
Markus W Kilbinger writes:
> Maybe my (quite non-specific) panic's with raidframe raid5 systems
> belong to this problem:
> Playing with NMBCLUSTERS (up to 16384) didn't help really help.
> Retrospective starting use of raid5's swap on these machines would be
> a good correlation for the timepoint of the panic/hangs.

It's been quite a while since I've tested swapping to a RAID 5 set, but
I'm not aware of any particular problems with that... (I'd argue that if you
have enough disks to make a RAID 5, then you have at least enough disks to
make one RAID 1 set, and the write performance to that will be *much* better)

> Anything I could try/test for narrowing this problem?

The output of "vmstat -m" (you'll need "options KMEMSTATS" in your kernel
config) from just before the panic/crash/hang would be useful.  You might also
bump up the "NKMEMPAGES" value, and/or play with "RAIDOUTSTANDING" values to
see how those change the crashing behaviour.

Greg Oster