Subject: LaserJet 1200, USB, and NetBSD
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/2002 17:42:01

I posted to users, but the problem remained, so I'm posting here and
wasting your precious bandwitdh (sorry).

I purchased a HP LaserJet 1200, connected it to my NetBSD box (running
1.6 release at the moment) - and it didn't work.  The system sees the

  ulpt1 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
  ulpt1: HewLett Packard HP LaserJet 1200, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1
  ulpt1: using bi-directional mode

If I copy a file (PS or ascii) to /dev/ulpt1, there's a delay of a few
seconds before I get the shell prompt back.  If I use /dev/ulpn1 instead,
there's no (visible) delay.  In both cases, no output is produced, and no
error messages are shown (in the logs even).

I searched the mailing list logs and web and found these:

How do I tweak the USB printer driver to use the other interfaces of
the HP?  I'm setting up a test machine where I can swap kernels with
ease, so please help me out a bit.

I could use the parallel port, but I want to avoid it at all cost.