Subject: Re: Sendmail and licensing
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Klaus Weber <gizmo@zork.north.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1998 20:28:34
Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com> writes:

>[...]
>In any case, I think we should start thinking about making Sendmail a
>package and coming up with an alternate solution.   Sendmail is an
>evil beast, and we would be better off without it, if only there were
>a viable alternative.   Unfortunatley, I don't consider qmail, MMDF or
>that mailer Erik mentioned to be much of an improvement.   Sigh.

Another option might be VMailer, http:// www.vmailer.org/ . To quote
the website:

"VMailer is Wietse Venema's attempt to provide an alternative to
sendmail that is fast, reliable, and hopefully secure, and that can be
freely redistributed in source or binary form, with or without
modifications."

The FAQ claims that it runs on FreeBSD 2.x (amongst others), so it
should not be too hard to get it running om NetBSD. Unfortunately it's
still in (closed) alpha test.

Regarding the licensing issue: IANAL, but the licensing terms
(http://www.clark.net/~proberts/vmailer/COPYRIGHT.html) look
reasonable to me.

Klaus