ATF-devel archive

Re: ATF submitted to MacPorts

Hello Julio,

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Julio Merino <jmmv%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov
> <rambiusparkisanius%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using ATF on Mac OS X and since my package management system on
>> Mac OS X is MacPorts I created and submitted a port for ATF:
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25604
>
> Hello Ivan,
>
> Thanks for doing this!
>
> I have taken a look at the file and found:
>
>    destroot.args           testsdir=${prefix}/share/${name}/tests
>
> Why is that?
I initially installed the tests in ${prefix}/tests but I received some
warnings from MacPorts about violating the layout of the ports
filesystem. I asked about it in macport mailing list and the advised
me on either changing the location or not including the atf tests at
all. I chose to change the location. See this thread:
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-July/020884.html

> Test programs *cannot* go into prefix/share/.  They are
> binaries and as such you cannot pretend them to be shareable across
> machines.  Additionally, such path will have the 'atf' component in it
> twice (see below).
>
> If you cannot put the test programs in prefix/tests/ (as it was
> intended) because then the port won't be accepted, then your only
> other allowable location would be prefix/libexec/.  But you should
> really try to get the tests to install in prefix/tests/ as libexec
> doesn't make much sense either -- it fits the file types but not the
> purpose.
>
> Also, the tests tree is supposed to be shared across all packages, and
> with the setting you are providing you are restricting the directory
> to atf only.  The idea is that if you have more than one package
> installing tests, you can just go into prefix/tests/ (imagine you'd
> have prefix/tests/atf/, prefix/tests/bind/, prefix/tests/gtk2/, etc.)
> and run all tests at once for all packages.
Well, now with this I understand the purpose of ${prefix}/tests and I
will follow up this issue in Macports mailing list and with a patch to
ATF macports portfile. I would also appreciate it if you take part in
the thread in MacPorts.

Regards
Ivan

--