ATF-devel archive

Re: ATF submitted to MacPorts

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov
<rambiusparkisanius%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using ATF on Mac OS X and since my package management system on
> Mac OS X is MacPorts I created and submitted a port for ATF:
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/25604

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for doing this!

I have taken a look at the file and found:

    destroot.args           testsdir=${prefix}/share/${name}/tests

Why is that?  Test programs *cannot* go into prefix/share/.  They are
binaries and as such you cannot pretend them to be shareable across
machines.  Additionally, such path will have the 'atf' component in it
twice (see below).

If you cannot put the test programs in prefix/tests/ (as it was
intended) because then the port won't be accepted, then your only
other allowable location would be prefix/libexec/.  But you should
really try to get the tests to install in prefix/tests/ as libexec
doesn't make much sense either -- it fits the file types but not the
purpose.

Also, the tests tree is supposed to be shared across all packages, and
with the setting you are providing you are restricting the directory
to atf only.  The idea is that if you have more than one package
installing tests, you can just go into prefix/tests/ (imagine you'd
have prefix/tests/atf/, prefix/tests/bind/, prefix/tests/gtk2/, etc.)
and run all tests at once for all packages.

Cheers,

--
Julio Merino