ATF-devel archive

Re: ATF head version make check failure, test use wrong atf-config tool

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 04:33:22PM +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Nicolas Joly<njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I updated my ATF source tree and run the boostrap tests ... And got a
> > failure from atf-config.
> [...]
> > A closer look shows that the testsuite picks up an already installed
> > atf-config tool (version 0.6 from NetBSD base system), where it should
> > test the new one ...
>
> Yeah... autotest is supposed to test installed tools as far as I know.

Not quite true ... It can test whatever you want, just like any other
shell script.

By example, autoconf `make check' ensure that new shell scripts are
syntaxically correct:

AT_CHECK_SHELL_SYNTAX(["$abs_top_builddir/bin/autoconf"])
AT_CHECK_SHELL_SYNTAX(["$abs_top_builddir/tests/autoconf"])
AT_CHECK_SHELL_SYNTAX(["$abs_top_builddir/tests/testsuite"])

>  I will eventually take a look at that, because otherwise there is no
> use in having make check and make installcheck as separate steps.  The
> problem is... some things will not work if you don't run make install
> before running make check.

I always use `make check' before installatiom to validate that that
things are not badly broken.

> So... for now, just do make check after make install.

Ok.

Thanks.

--
Nicolas Joly