ATF-devel archive

Re: is there a knob for the location of the tests directory?

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Julio M. Merino Vidal
<jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Marc Spitzer <mspitzer%gmail.com@localhost>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> After posting on the freebsd-ports list it was recomended that I
>> install  the tests/ tree in libexec to comply with the hier(7) man
>> page.  Is there a knob I can use to set that up in configure,  when I
>> did ./configure --help nothing seemed correct.
>
> Oops, this email slipped through and noticed it now.  No, there is no
> way to change the installation path for tests at the moment through
> the configure script... but a hack could be to either:
>
> 1) Use "make install testsdir=/your/path" during installation.
>
> 2) Patch the Makefile.in to put your preferred value in the testsdir variable.

Cool will look into it

> I've been browsing through the freebsd-ports lists and I would like to
> tell you that neither share nor libexec seem the correct place to
> install the tests.  share is not adequate because many tests are
> binary programs; on the other hand, libexec is not appropriate because
> many tests come with auxiliary data files.
>
> I opted to use a different subdirectory because none of the existing
> ones made sense.  And now NetBSD's hier(7) mentions it :-P

I agree with you that neither shar or libexec are a good fit.  But
libexec seems to be the best fit given that in freebsd currently it is
just a port and not part of the base system, in netbsd that is not the
case.  It may become more a part of the system as time goes by and
that could lead to a change in hier(7) to support a test dir.

Thanks for the help,

marc
--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus