ATF-devel archive

ANNOUNCE: ATF 0.3 released

Hello,

I am very pleased to announce the availability of ATF's third public
release, 0.3.  This release marks a big milestone for the ATF project:
it is planned to be the first one to be integrated into the NetBSD
source tree.  Integration into the NetBSD operating system was the
original goal of the ATF project as part of a Google Summer of Code
2007 project but, as it was not good enough when the program ended (or
at least I considered it was not ready), integration was delayed.
It is now polished enough to take make this important step forward!

The major changes in this release are:

* Added XML output support to atf-report.  This is accompanied by a DTD for
  the format's structure and sample XSLT/CSS files to post-process this
  output and convert it to a plain HTML report.

* Changed atf-run to add system information to the report it generates.
  This is currently used by atf-report's XML output only, and is later
  printed in the HTML reports in a nice and useful summary table.  The user
  and system administrator are allowed to tune this feature by means of
  hooks.

* Removed the test cases' 'isolated' property.  This was intended to avoid
  touching the file system at all when running the related test case, but
  this has not been true for a long while: some control files are
  unconditionally required for several purposes, and we cannot easily get
  rid of them.  This way we remove several critical and delicate pieces of
  code.

* Improved atf-report's CSV output format to include information about
  test programs too.

* Fixed the tests that used atf-compile to not require this tool as a
  helper.  Avoids systems without build-time utilities to skip many tests
  that could otherwise be run.  (E.g. NetBSD without the comp.tgz set
  installed.)

* Many general cleanups: Fixed many pieces of code marked as ugly and/or
  incomplete.

The checksums for atf-0.3.tar.gz are:

* MD5: b01dde98a3950f4cbdb914197455dab7
* SHA1: 3734ed79d6116e4ec3c90ca2cf5aca5bac86e5a1
* SHA512: ae353c4a b1356bea 92dbbf9f 53a8c1fb e381fffb e4f09959
          3580926d 242be393 25043592 440a64d1 b14be895 ebef8ded
          05716c89 04cc309c a6031933 8fc3c7ba

As usual, you can download this release from the web site at:

    http://www.NetBSD.org/~jmmv/atf/news.html

And you can get more information about the project at:

    http://www.NetBSD.org/~jmmv/atf/

Enjoy!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv%NetBSD.org@localhost>