Re: Access to testing on multiple pkgsrc platforms (Was: python311 breakage)

I've offered many times in the past to bulk build proposed changes, as well as perform more limited test builds on the platforms I build for (NetBSD, illumos, macOS, and 3 versions of Linux).

I regularly test full bulk builds for illumos developers who are looking to make changes to the OS and are concerned about implications for third party software.

All of my bulk builds are posted to pkgsrc-bulk for people to check for fallout from their recent commits.

The only person who takes me up on those offers from pkgsrc is Joerg.

Personally I think it's a culture issue, not an infrastructure issue.

To be clear, this isn't a dig against anyone in particular, I just don't think adding yet more infrastructure will help when there are already options and tools such as pkglint available that people aren't using, and the prevailing culture is "commit first, ask questions later".

Unless you believe that any of the recent fallout would not have been caught if people had asked me to test first? I certainly can't think of any.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com