Re: Xen 3.3 News

Sarton O'Brien wrote:
Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2008-07-16 14:34 +1000 (Wed), Sarton O'Brien wrote:

Just in case you were unaware, the latest pkgsrc version of xentools requires _current_ everything. It's incompatible with the release kernels and tends to be a common showstopper for people using the latest pkgsrc on a release or not compiling their own domu kernels.

Hm. Can we clarify this? There's a sysutils/xentools3 package, which
is Xen 3.1.4. This works fine on 4-branch still, right? Are you saying
that 3.2 (which should of course be added as a separate package, so that
those who are still using 3.1 don't get left out in the cold) will not
run under 4-branch, and can't run under 4-branch?

I can't state the exact situation as it's only been hinted at and I track netbsd and pkgsrc HEAD but to summarise:

Just doing a little digging to see what's around, the first line of the howto after the description is:

First do a NetBSD/i386 or NetBSD/amd64 installation of the 4.0 release (or newer: for Xen3 amd64 you'll need NetBSD-current from December 2007 or newer)

Which implies you need current for Xen3. I'm not sure how correct that is.

Hmmm, maybe it only applies to hvm:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2008/05/12/msg003706.html

??

All I know for sure is that there _is_ a problem :) ... I'm just not sure how far it extends. I may have generalised but I thought I'd heard that the incompatibility effected more than just hvm.

To generalise intentionally, xen tends to work at it's best under current due to it's fluid nature atm.

Sarton