Re: Xen 3.3 News

Curt Sampson wrote:
On 2008-07-16 14:34 +1000 (Wed), Sarton O'Brien wrote:

Just in case you were unaware, the latest pkgsrc version of xentools requires _current_ everything. It's incompatible with the release kernels and tends to be a common showstopper for people using the latest pkgsrc on a release or not compiling their own domu kernels.

Hm. Can we clarify this? There's a sysutils/xentools3 package, which
is Xen 3.1.4. This works fine on 4-branch still, right? Are you saying
that 3.2 (which should of course be added as a separate package, so that
those who are still using 3.1 don't get left out in the cold) will not
run under 4-branch, and can't run under 4-branch?

I can't state the exact situation as it's only been hinted at and I track netbsd and pkgsrc HEAD but to summarise:

There was a change in xentools (I believe) that required a change on netbsd. This change broke older xentools versions when using the new modified kernels and in the other direction, broke newer xentools from working with older kernels.

Most people will install the latest xentools from pkgsrc which won't function with kernels prior to a certain date/change.

Once again ... I _believe_ ... that the change was so great (or at least the changes within netbsd that were associated with this change) that no pullup was possible, so the release kernels are in an unusable state when combined with the latest xentools.

That was the last I heard.

TBH, I've only ever heard this second-hand. Manuel would be the person to ask as the situation could possibly have changed.

Sarton