Re: ACA630 + NetBSD = success

On Jan 11, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:45:41PM +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
>> Similarly interesting is that the FPU emulation works. I have never seen
>> that before, although I knew it exists.
>
> Ha! I have in my now semi-functional A3000 a switch so that I can change
> the mc68882 chipselect from chipselect to bus error (which signals to the
> 68030 that no FPU is installed, thus creating the F-line trap.
Nice. I was somewhat surprised that FPU emulation works so well. There were
some problems in the past. For example:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amiga/2005/01/25/0007.html . I remember
having problems with FPU emulation back in the 1.6.x days.

>> I doubt that NetBSD ran on many A600s before.
>
> But it did, once, *nearly* run on an A500. Unfortunately, the A590
> ...  oh wait. If we had an A590, we didn't have the A530, or does
> the A530 have a SCSI on-board?

Yes, GVP A530 does have a on-board AM33C93A.

> Anyway, we had problems with the
> SCSI, probably because the wd33c93 on the board was even older than
> the one in the A3000

Yes, but I think it would work with A590, because it's very similar to A2091.
We could have 68030 with A590 - some turbo boards installed in CPU socket were
produced.

Another interesting fact about A530: it does have proprietary ASIC inside,
designed by GVP and manufactured by Motorola. Not PLD but real ASIC. I wonder
how many A530s were produced. I wish I had one ;). It's pretty easy to buy
working A500, but almost impossible to find turbo board with MMU.

On Jan 11, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Frank Wille wrote:

>> What do you think about identifying
>> A1200 by reading Alice chip revision, and then looking for
>> card.resource?
>
> Yes, that should identify an A600 safely. You can make a patch if you
> like.
I'll experiment with it.

> You would also have to adapt autoconf.c (new is_a600() function, removing
> the comments in pccard detection) and machdep.c (print model name).
Ok, I knew about that ;).

--
Best regards,
RadosÅaw Kujawa