Re: TCP/IP For A3000 workbench 2.0 ?

is%netbsd.org@localhost (Ignatios Souvatzis) writes:

>> Was that AS-225? It didn't support SANA-II devices, if I recall correctly.

>AS225Rsomething _did_ support Sana2 - it was the stack that Sana2 was
>invented for.

The original AS-225 had drivers for the Amistar Ethernet and Arcnet
boards built in. These boards were also sold by C= under C= product
numbers.

AS-225 release 2 (or AS225R2 for short) was a rewrite and accessed
external Sana2 ("standard amiga networking architecture version 2")
drivers.

Both releases were based on the BSD4.2 TCP/IP stack.

>> There was also something called Envoy, but whether it did TCP/IP and
>> bsdsockets is doubtful.

>It doesn't. It provides, afaict, a functionality similar to Lanmanager or
>Appletalk, over RDP/IP.

Envoy implemented its own IP stack with RDP and UDP as the upper
layer protocols (but not TCP). It also included several applications
like a file and printer sharing protocol but you could access the
RDP and UDP layers by your own programs.

>(Although, due to shortcomings in the original Sana2 specification, most
>people used two different protocol numbers to run RDP and it's ARP on, for
>Envoy, instead of the IP and ARP one.)

It is always inefficient to run two concurrent IP protocol stacks :)

This was later "solved" by an extension to Sana2 that added an incoming
packet filter that had to determine to which stack the packet had to be
delivered (possibly even to all stack). You still got conflicts with routing
and ARP.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost