Re: TCP/IP For A3000 workbench 2.0 ?

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:48:52AM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:

> If not, is there a free TCP/IP stack for Workbench 2.0 that I could get
> and get TCP/IP working to get kernels on that way?  Hmmm, I'm still
> going to need to use serial to bootstrap that but "oh well".

Depending on your definition of "free", there are:

- Miami:

  Simple-setup shareware stack, 30 minute usage limitation (plenty
  for transfering a kernel, but annoying still). Requires MUI,
  but should work under 2.0

  http://www.nordicglobal.com/miami.html

- AmiTCP:

  To my knowledge the oldest stack, can be complex and bothersome
  and might be unsupported (official site, www.nsdi.fi, no longer
  responds). Commercial/shareware.

  http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/aminet/comm/tcp/AmiTCP-demo-40.readme
  http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/aminet/comm/tcp/AmiTCP-demo-40.lha

- AmigaNOS:

  Don't know much about it, but it's supposedly free. Doesn't seem
  to use bsdsockets.library, so getting anything but the bundled
  apps to talk to it could be difficult to impossible.

  http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/aminet/comm/tcp/anos29m.readme
  http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/aminet/comm/tcp/anos29m.lha
  http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv/amiga.amiganos-faq/msg00000.html

- Genesis:

  Relatively new, unknown to me. Seems promising. Uses MUI.

  http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/dirs/aminet/comm/tcp/gendemo104.readme
  http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/dirs/aminet/comm/tcp/gendemo104.lha

When I was still actively using AmigaDOS, I used AmiTCP, and before that Miami
(until
it became time-limited when unregistered).

Another option might be to use NetBSD bootblocks on the partition, so as to
avoid
AmigaDOS involvment at all (except the Kickstart).

--
Sune Stjerneby <sst%vmunix.dk@localhost>
 - Part of an RFC 1876-compliant network.