Re: Pkgsrc issue

> I have a PPC Mac Mini running NetBSD 8.2.  It's stable and
> functional. It serves me well.

Yes, but it's now running an OS which is becoming old and which
is about to be "de-supported" wrt. pkgsrc updates (to the extent
we "support" it).  The basic problem is that the supplied
compiler is quite old, and it shows -- the machine I've been
doing pkgsrc bulk builds on for 8.x says:

$ uname -pmr
8.0 macppc powerpc
$ gcc --version
gcc (nb2 20180327) 5.5.0

$

As for why it shows, see below.

> I have been using pkgin to install packages and update them
> with "pkgin upgrade".
>
> My recent attempts to upgrade have been ended by pkgin telling me:
>
> +mercy$ pkgin upgrade
> calculating dependencies...|
> glib2>=2.76.4nb1 is not available in the repository
> proceed ? [y/N]
>
> So I checked on glib2, and it really should be in the pkgsrc
> binary packages, but it is not there in the 8.2 ppc pkgsrc
> binaries. I also have amd64 machines and they have glib2.

Yep.

The bulk build report corresponding to the latest 8.0 package
build is at

http://castor.urc.uninett.no/reports/macppc/8.0/2023Q4/20240102.2031/meta/report.html

and the build log for glib2 is at

http://castor.urc.uninett.no/reports/macppc/8.0/2023Q4/20240102.2031/glib2-2.78.1nb1/build.log

and shows that the build failed due to the compiler core-
dumping, and I suspect that if you bring that issue up with the
glib2 maintainers, you'll be told "please upgrade your compiler".
If you try to bring that issue up with the gcc maintainers, I
suspect the response will basically be the same.

I don't think "the compiler crashes when building glib2" can be
attributed to any of the modification we've done to the compiler;
we try to minimize that set of changes.

> How should I go about reporting this issue and hopefully
> getting it fixed.
>
> I *believe* I could fix this by upgrading NetBSD to 9.0+.
> Unfortunately, that would be hard for me, at least now.

I think I would encourage that course of action, to plan such an
upgrade, even though it might be somewhat hard (if I recall you
need to use "the right" ofwboot.xcf, and some of the versions we
have distributed have been ... problematical).

The glib2 package is available for both the 9.x versions and for
10.0 -- on our ftp server:

% pwd
/ftp/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc
% ls -ltr {9.0,10.0}/All/glib2-2* | grep -v Q
-rw-r--r--  1 he  netbsd  5353306 Dec 18 08:33 10.0/All/glib2-2.76.5.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 he  netbsd  5435273 Feb 12 06:31 9.0/All/glib2-2.78.1nb1.tgz
%

The most recent bulk build report for NetBSD/macppc 10.0 is at

http://castor.urc.uninett.no/reports/macppc/10.0/2023Q3/20231218.0022/meta/report.html

and has a much larger set of successfully built packages compared
to the 8.0 set.

Best regards,

- Håvard