Re: Pkgsrc issue

Don Lee <MacPPC2%c.icompute.com@localhost> writes:

> I have a PPC Mac Mini running NetBSD 8.2. It’s stable and functional. It serves me well.
>
> I have been using pkgin to install packages and update them with "pkgin upgrade”.
>
> My recent attempts to upgrade have been ended by pkgin telling me:
>
> +mercy$ pkgin upgrade
> calculating dependencies...|
> glib2>=2.76.4nb1 is not available in the repository
> proceed ? [y/N]
>
> So I checked on glib2, and it really should be in the pkgsrc binary
> packages, but it is not there in the 8.2 ppc pkgsrc binaries. I also
> have amd64 machines and they have glib2.

NetBSD has machines to do builds for some architectures, basically
x86_64, i386, earmv[67]hf-el, and aarch64.

Beyond that individual developers do bulk builds and publish the
results.  These are almost all "slow architectures", which means that
the available compute resources are such that it takes a long time (more
than 2 weeks) to complete a bulk build.  For many, it takes a whole
quarter.

Thus the build currently pointed to for macppc/8 is 2023Q4.  You are
welcome to look at the ftp server and choose a build yourself -- but
there isn't anything newere.

> How should I go about reporting this issue and hopefully getting it fixed.

You have reported it :-)

There are a lot of reasons a package might not succeed:

  bulk build ran out of time that quarter before the hardware is used to
  start the next quarter

  hiccup or resource issue on the build system

  the package actually won't build on the branch

The place to find bulk build reports is the pkgsrc-bulk mailing list,
but I am not able to find the report for this build with quick search.

So, you could check out pkgsrc, bootstrap it to a scratch prefix, and
try to build glib2, see if it succeeds, and if not fix it.

However:

  we no longer maintain 2023Q4, now that 2023Q1 was created

  pkgsrc no longer supports NetBSD 8, more or less right now, as NetBSD
  8 is formally EOL on Tuesday.  (The notion of "supports" is a bit
  funny, as people fix what they want, regardless.)

> I *believe* I could fix this by upgrading NetBSD to
> 9.0+. Unfortunately, that would be hard for me, at least now.

Whether there are binary package sets for various versions is a question
you might want to answer, but in general, you are now overdue for an
upgrade.

This query isn't, as far as I know, easy to 4un for the web, for in case
it helps:

$ ls -l pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/*_20*Q*/All/glib2-2*
-rw-r--r--  1 he  netbsd  5353306 Dec 18 08:33 pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/10.0_2023Q3/All/glib2-2.76.5.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 he  netbsd  5301256 Oct 24  2023 pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/8.0_2023Q3/All/glib2-2.76.5.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 he  netbsd  5372926 Oct 23  2023 pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/9.0_2023Q3/All/glib2-2.76.5.tgz
-rw-r--r--  1 he  netbsd  5435273 Feb 12 06:31 pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/powerpc/9.0_2023Q4/All/glib2-2.78.1nb1.tgz

which shows that 9 has glib2 for 2023Q4, and that there isn't a 10.0
build for 2023Q4 on the ftp server.

You of course can build your own packages.  That might be more
reasonable than you think, especially if you are operating in a
lightweight old-school manner.