Re: Want to buy Notebooks with supported WLAN chip - Recommendations?

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 10:24:13AM +0200, Frank Wille wrote:

> I'm looking for a recent Notebook which runs NetBSD. In spent a lot of time
> to find out which drivers are needed for several models, and in nearly all
> cases the WLAN chip is not supported.
>
> Looking into the NetBSD-current source I hope that the new intel AC 3160
> driver is partly working. Would that be an option?

Wireless LAN is always problematic, the devices change relatively
quickly and getting details to write drivers can be ridiculously
difficult.  Even with the documents someone has to have the device,
motivation and time to do the job.

One thing which may be acceptable (and, in fact, I have been doing for a
while*) is to get a supported USB wireless dongle and use that.  It is
not ideal but you will get wireless network.

* My laptop has an unsupported realtek wireless chip, I am part way
through the port of the driver but have not had the time to finish doing
it :(

--
Brett Lymn
Let go, or be dragged - Zen proverb.