Re: rust - volunteers sought...

On Thursday, May 16th, 2024 at 2:44 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> pin voidpin%protonmail.com@localhost writes:
>
> > > when a rust-using program is updated, it should have been built/tested
> > > with that lowest version, generally
> >
> > Then, we have a problem.
> > I only use/have amd64
>

> It is perfectly feasible to install the older version on amd64 and test
> programs with it.

Bear with me and try to understand my system.
For me Rust is a priority, so I'm always on the latest possible version.

Currently, it's not possible to have different versions installed.

And, although I start to see the point of versioning Rust, I'm still not convinced this is a solution or a source to further problems.

With that out of the way, I always check upstream MSRV. Unfortunately, not everyone defines that variable in Cargo.toml.
So, what I usually do is, push the update, keep an eye on bulk builds and revert the update when needed.

I know you might disagree with this but, it's not that bad and usually there aren't that many failures when we have Rust at latest "-1".
Now, if we are talking about Rust "-2", the risk increases but, I've found it to be very similar to "-1".
"-3" starts to be messy and quite a few things won't build with it.