Re: rust - volunteers sought...

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 11:18:01AM +0000, pin wrote:
> The major issue I see with this is that a lot of projects tend to follow Rust upstream to access new features.
> I already have two patches to force packages to use 1.76 instead of 1.77.2

A rust behind more than one or two versions is useless (due to the fast
evolution spirit of the whole Rust ecosystem). This makes it a very
problematic implementation language IMHO, but everyone else seems to
disagree.

So I think we have only one option: find enough volunteers to at least
analyze and report upstream all bugs, and hope things get fixed sometime
in the near future.

Fast movement means high risk for breakage. We see the same in Firefox
(even in the non-Rust parts). It is a disaster for packagers, but we can
not do a lot about it.

Would be cool if we could get a few (virtual?) machines hooked into the
CI cycles of both Rust and Firefox.

Martin